Focusing on Lima and the south of Peru, this carefully crafted itinerary takes you to some of the most spectacular parts of the country – after the capital Lima, journey to the ‘white city’ Arequipa, the beautiful Colca Canyon, home to the majestic condor, and the shores of Lake Titicaca, thought to be the birthplace of the Inca civilization. The journey then continues to the must-see highlights of Cusco, the Sacred Valley and of course Machu Picchu.
Itinerary In Brief
- Day 1: Arrival and overnight in Lima hotel.
- Day 2: Half day city tour of Lima, taking in the historic centre with the Lima cathedral, Plaza de Armas, and ornate churches. You’ll also visit the coastal neighborhoods of Miraflores with its manicured Parque del Amor (Love Park) and a historic olive grove in the San Isidro district. Overnight in Lima hotel.
- Day 3: Fly from Lima to Arequipa. Half day tour of historic Arequipa, including the Plaza de Armas, the Cathedral, Santa Catalina Monastery, Compañia de Jesus church, and panoramic city lookout points. Overnight in Arequipa hotel.
- Day 4: Scenic transfer by car to the Colca Canyon. Overnight in Colca Canyon hotel.
- Day 5: Colca Canyon tour including visiting the Cruz del Condor. Overnight in Colca Canyon hotel.
- Day 6: Overland transfer from Colca Canyon to Lake Titicaca. Overnight in Lake Titicaca hotel.
- Day 7: Full day tour of Lake Titicaca by boat, visiting the Uros floating islands and Taquile island.
- Day 8: Fly from Puno to Cusco. Enjoy a scenic drive to the Sacred Valley, stopping en route at Pisac ruins and market, and Awanacancha, a traditional weaving center. Overnight in Sacred Valley hotel.
- Day 9: Full day tour of the Sacred Valley. Choose from Ollantaytambo fortress, Chinchero market town, the salt ponds of Maras and the Moray archaeological site. Overnight in the Sacred Valley hotel.
- Day 10: Train from Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu. Guided half day tour of Machu Picchu. Return train to Sacred Valley and transfer to Cusco. Overnight in Cusco hotel.
- Day 11: Half day Cusco city tour, including highlights like Qorikancha, the Cusco cathedral, Sacsayhuaman, Qenqo, Puka Pukara and Tambomachay.
- Day 12: Fly from Cusco to Lima for international departure or onward travel.
Itinerary In Detail
Good Life Expeditions carefully selects the best destinations and pace, and offers you a choice of attractions to visit on some of the tours. Like all our itineraries, this can be personalized and tailored for you and your travel style.
Starting in the capital Lima, enjoy a tour showcasing the contrast between old and new Lima. Visit the historic downtown district filled with beautiful colonial architecture and impressive squares with manicured gardens and statues of Peru’s illustrious heroes. Explore the cathedral, Plaza de Armas (main square), San Francisco convent and more. You’ll also visit the upscale coastal Miraflores district, strolling along the green clifftop Malécon park and an ancient olive grove in nearby San Isidro.
Next fly to Arequipa, Peru’s beautiful white city, where you’ll enjoy a city tour of the beautiful colonial architecture, including key sites like the Cathedral, Plaza de Armas, the picturesque Santa Catalina Monastery, Compañia de Jesus Church, and panoramic city lookout points.
Enjoy a scenic drive to Colca Canyon, passing towering volcanoes and quaint Andean villages along the way. In Colca Canyon you’ll visit the famous Cruz del Condor, a great spot for viewing the majestic condors that soar through the canyon.
Transfer by road to the shores of Lake Titicaca, the highest navigable lake in the world, and the spiritual birthplace of the Inca civilization. Taking to the water, you’ll visit several islands – the unique floating Uros islands, made entirely of reeds, and Taquile island, known for its weaving traditions.
Next fly to Cusco, then head straight off to the Sacred Valley. Here you’ll visit stunning archaeological sites such as the fortress of Ollantaytambo, Pisac and the unique spherical formations at Moray. Watch locals collecting salt from the naturally forming salt ponds of Maras, and learn about traditional textiles in Chinchero and Awanacancha.
The highlight of Peru for many people is their visit to the ancient citadel Machu Picchu. Enjoy a private tour of the ruins with an expert guide, learning about the Incas who built it, and visiting the temples, terraces and all the best spots for photos.
Return to Cusco and enjoy a tour of this beautiful ancient city, where the legacy of the Incas and Spanish colonizers sit side by side. Choose from the many ancient sites to visit such as Qorikancha, the Cusco cathedral, Sacsayhuaman, Qenqo, Puka Pukara and Tambomachay.
On your last day, fly back to Lima for your international connecting flight or onward travel elsewhere.